본문 바로가기
Text

Kwon Kisoo Solo Exhibition

'Hoosou 후소 後素'

Lotte Gallery  2015

Things resulted from the attitude to never give up

Many art critics and people working in various fields of art today tend to classify artists into several groups when organizing art exhibitions or writing a thesis. Specific groups of artists are invited to certain art exhibitions that they seem to belong to and, inevitably, certain forms of criticism are expected in writing, depending on the genre of what they are writing about. They often describe artworks that are somehow vague and uncertain as ‘modernistic alteration of traditions’ or ‘pushing the boundaries among many genres’. However, these expressions don’t suit Kisoo Kwon’s work of art exactly, which often causes curators who make facile remarks carelessly to feel embarrassed later. Or his talent would be used recklessly in the insensitive art scene of Korea. It has been 15 years since his character, ‘Dongguri’, was born. I don’t need to explain about the appearance of this cute character in my writing because it is famous and popular in and out of the art scene of Korea. People often bump into the familiar sculptures of Dongguri while travelling. It is in a lot of art collector’s list of collections. He is called a pop artist because everyone loves him.

However, he doesn’t really want to be called a pop artist. He says that his work of art is different from pop art in the Western art scene. A few art critics support his point of view. It is true in a sense but false at the same time. His work of art could be categorized into pop art in the aspect of sociology because the artist cannot fully grasp his work, and cannot totally ignore what the viewers think of his work, either. However, I also agree with him that the way he struggles as an artist, being kicked toward here and there looks as a round ball, which looks a lot like his character. The way he completes his work has been the basis to define him as an outsider or a marginal man in the dichotomous boundary between Western painting and Oriental painting, that between traditions and contemporary characters, and that between art schools and the prevailing artwork industry. Being an art critic who doesn’t really have great taste in art, I’m just one of the viewers who has watched the process of making his work of art and a listener who has listened to his story as an artist. However, I’ve learned a few things that I didn’t know about him and his work of art. My writing could be an explanation about his exhibition, but the form of my writing could also be a meta-criticism that makes him know about what I couldn’t tell him because I had to focus on watching and listening to him while we had conversations. My writing could be something that gives more perspective about the artist to either the viewers who have never seen his work before or those in the art community who appreciate his work and share the implications of his work.

His recent works showing in this exhibition are done in a way of self-description. After examining his own methodology of what he has done it is my impression that his new works have subdued colors compared to those in the bold contrast that he used in his previous works although they wouldn’t be new to the artist who has been doing lots of experiments. Also, lines are drawn freely in his new works, in which no trace of a technique, blurring, could be found between the main figure and the background due to the clear lines. His painting looks like a stage set, which is filled with props and familiar characters that we’ve already known. In his works of art, from his previous works to recent ones, he tends to make narratives based on traditional Oriental paintings that he uses as a reference rather than telling us his own story. These patterns of making his work of art have been a means of expressing his identity for him.

His way of working that is shown to the public is logical and empirical, which has the advantage that the viewers can get to see his intentions easily. However, to art critics, it doesn’t give a room for things to talk more about. His dilemma contrasts with the current situation, in which lots of pedantic expressions about Korean monochrome painting have been made continuously with little information. In my opinion, the victimhood and fear shown in his work of art are caused from the standardized way of appreciating a work of art, which make people judge what a good work of art should be or point out the flaws that they think a bad work of art has. Even in contemporary art, the truth, the goodness, and the beauty are the virtues that are encouraged to be in a work of art while the false, the vice, and the ugliness are things that should be excluded out of it. Unconsciously, people tend to set a higher value in fine arts, an original work of art, and Korean things that are familiar to them than popular arts, copies of an original work, and things exotic to them. In these circumstances, he might have felt alienated from the mainstream of Korean art. There are a few features that make his work placed outside the mainstream. First of all, it is not debatable that people who don’t have artistic knowledge can get attracted to his work easily. Secondly, he works in lots of fields, not just painting or sculpture. Also, he creates various contents from his work of art. Above all, his major that doesn’t match with what he makes now made a stepping-stone to evolve his works in unique ways. His character, Dongguri reminds me of a proverb, ‘a rolling stone gathers no moss’.

Apparently, artists can express themselves through their work of art without talking or writing. I assume that Kisoo Kwon probably has a lot to say about which is more important between the form and the content in Korean art because the issue has a lot to do with the process of making his work of art. Viewed from the aspect of a work environment that he wants to have, I want to point out that he made a mistake in choosing his subject matter. If asked to choose a better one between Korean culture and an exotic culture, the answer would be fixed. Although Korean tradition has disappeared in our daily life except a few things including traditional Korean food, Korean people put a higher valuation on Korean culture. When creating or appreciating a work of art, a lot of people tend to justify this kind of absurd nationalism. I would like to cite an example of a movie director, Kwontaek Im who is valued highly by critics because of his scenes describing Korean things. It is a false belief if we consider him as a movie director whose movies show us the real tradition of Korea just because he makes historical movies that feature in traditional culture.

A long time ago, I happened to go to a film festival dedicated to Kwontaek Im. I saw a movie made in the 1980s that featured in the interaction between family members although I don’t remember what the title of the movie was. I was so impressed by a scene of a family gathering, in which the head of the family tells his children who are grown up to have their own family that he had an affair and they had another sibling. It was the first moment that he let them in on his secret, and the camerawork used in the scene was what attracted my attention the most. Other movie directors would have thought of a full shot of the room or a bust shot where the characters’ upper bodies are shown. It would have been a soft option for him to take a close-up of each character when talking. However, Kwontaek Im asked the cinematographer to choose another option. Unexpectedly, the camera lens was focused on the floor of the room as if it were a mistake. However, it was actually the character’s gaze avoiding eye contact while confessing his error in shame even though he is a symbol of power in the patriarchal family system of Korea. It was the Korean sentiment that I felt sympathetic to. A lot of artists without insight make a mistake when choosing their subject matter. Just because a western building has traditional Korean roof tiles painted in the five colors symbolizing Korea, it doesn’t mean that the house can be a traditional Korean house, which explains the reason why not many historical films can be a masterpiece showing the real Korea. Likewise, I’ve seen a lot of artworks done for mere form’s sake even though they are made in traditional Korean medium, such as meok and jang-ji intended to inherit tradition.

The beauty of Kisoo Kwon’s work of art is rooted in East Asian painting. His manner of applying paints smoothly on the surface of his canvas over and over again has, in a way, the same relation to how a traditional ink-and-wash painting is made. Under the premise that painting features with a two-dimensional space where the world is observed in new ways, analyzing space in perspective has been an important issue in Western while, in Oriental painting, the existence of the space itself has been valued highly, which is what Kisoo Kwon has been trying hard to keep in his painting. Dongguri born out of his doodles is, in a way, a breakaway from the seriousness of Idealism in Oriental painting. Likewise, the viewers would appreciate his recent works more if he understands that the way he tries to revive traditions is somewhat similar to how pop art has developed. They will realize how gracefully he tries to give up on pursuing Oriental forms by trying new things in his recent works showing in the exhibition.

He shows his insight in the exhibition, and it is deeply related to one of the phrases in the Discourses of Confucius, ‘Hyoesahooso’ (繪事後素) meaning that the act of erasing is same as the act of painting. ‘Hooso’ (後素), short for Hyoesahooso, is also the title of his painting. Unlike ink-and-wash painting, Chinese painting that was popular in the era of Confucius is similar to his works in a way that painting the void of the background was a prerequisite to coloring. The exhibition features in visualizing that kind of an intuitive concept. However, the relationship between his way of working and the beauty of form beyond the tradition cannot be proven completely. For him, the tradition of Oriental art and the values of Korea have made him create symbols including Dongguri, in which he locks himself strictly. Therefore, to ease his self-inflicted compulsion, he has placed a device that has logical inconsistencies in his new paintings. Lines crossing on the surface of his painting are the element of the device. He draws those lines as a means of purifying himself, and they feed back into the world that he has built, which is why these new works are transient, but very attractive at the same time. It will be an irresponsible interpretation if I mention a multiple personality, but it is correct to say that, in a symbolic way, those lines are erased by the artist rather than drawn. Not many people know that a painter makes his or her painting by erasing as well as drawing or painting. Kisoo Kwon’s work of art, which is about here and now, has been developing brilliantly within his own grandiose scheme. Of course, the works that he has been erasing are included in the scheme!

(Kewhong Yoon, Art director of Gallery Bundo/ Sociology of Art)

권기수 개인전 'Hoosou 후소 後素'

롯데갤러리 2015

포기할 수 없는 태도에 의하여 남겨진 것들

이런 게 있다. 미술 현장이나 연구직에 있는 사람들이 평론을 쓰거나, 전시 기획을 하고, 논문을 쓸 때에 머릿속으로 작가들을 몇 집단으로 분류한다. 가령 어떤 전시에는 거기에 어울릴 법한 작가가 늘 섭외되고, 글을 쓸 때에는 장르에 따라 비평 형식이 굳어지는 일이다. 작업이 뭔가 좀 애매할 때에는 ‘전통의 현대적 변용’이나 ‘장르의 경계 허물기’ 같은 말을 써주면 된다. 이게 망하는 지름길이다. 작가 권기수의 작업은 그렇게 안이한 기획자들에게 곤혹감을 주기에 딱 좋은 위치를 점하고 있다. 아니면 몰이해에 휩싸인 미술계 안에서 간혹 마구잡이로 자신의 재능을 혹사당하기도 했다. ‘동구리’가 태어난 지 15년이 되었다. 귀염상을 한 이 캐릭터를 글로 풀어서 설명하는 일은 따로 필요 없을 것 같다. 그만큼 동구리는 예술계 안팎에서 유명하다. 낯선 곳을 여행하다보면 낯익은 조형물을 볼 수 있다. 수많은 미술 수집가들의 소장 목록에도 그의 이름이 들어있다. 많은 사람들이 권기수의 미술을 사랑한다. 그래서 이 작가는 팝아티스트로 불린다.

하지만 정작 작가는 이런 호명에 대하여 심드렁하다. 그는 자신의 미술이 출발부터 서양의 팝아트와는 다르다는 말을 한다. 그리고 몇몇 비평가들도 그의 말을 뒷받침하고 있다. 그 말들은 옳다. 그러나 동시에 틀렸다. 예술사회학의 측면에서는 그의 작업이 팝아트가 될 수도 있다. 예술의 의미를 작가가 모두 거머쥘 수는 없으며, 수용하는 관객들의 생각을 무시 못한다는 이야기다. 하지만 나도 그가 자신의 캐릭터같이 둥근 공 마냥 이리저리 차이며 시련을 겪는다는 사실을 공감한다. 작가가 그림을 완성하는 기법은 동양화와 서양화, 전통과 동시대성, 대학과 미술시장 등 이분법 코드의 제도 속에서 그를 경계인 내지 이탈자로 규정하는 근거가 되어왔다. 나는 뭐, 대단한 안목을 지닌 평론가도 아니고, 단지 옆에서 그의 작업 과정을 보고 작가적 생애사를 들은 관찰자에 지나지 않는다. 그렇지만 일련의 탐구를 통하여 이전에 내가 몰랐던 몇 가지 사실을 알게 됐다. 이 글은 이번 전시에 관한 설명이 되지만, 더 꼼꼼히 따지면 그 형식은 메타비평이 될 수도 있다. 작가와 가진 대화중에서 내가 보고 듣기만 했고 그에게 전하지 못했던 이야기를 하는 기회도 필요하다고 생각한다. 권기수의 작품을 처음 보는 이들이라도, 그리고 이미 그의 작품을 아끼고 그 함의를 이해하는 해석공동체(kommunikat) 속의 관객들에게 이 텍스트는 작가에 대한 좀 더 풍부한 관점을 제시하는 한 가지 예가 될 수도 있다.

이번 전시에서 선보인 그의 신작은 그동안 일구어온 자신의 방법론을 스스로 풀어서 쓰는 (self-description) 태도를 취하고 있다. 다분히 내 주관적인 인상이기는 한데, 공개되는 작품을 보았을 때, 과거의 원색 내지 붉은 색보다 몇 단계 차분해진 색조가 눈에 들어왔다. (이 색조차 그가 실험을 통해 직접 뽑아낸 색이므로 작가의 기준에서는 새로움이라고 할 수는 없겠다마는) 또한 그림에는 근작에 이르러 눈에 띠는 자유로운 선이 드리워 있다. 대상과 배경의 구분이 너무나도 확정적인 나머지 예컨대 블러(blur) 기법 같은 건 상상할 수도 없는 그의 그림은 하나의 세트처럼 구성되어 있다. 이 무대 세트에는 우리에게 이미 친숙한 등장인물과 소품들이 공간을 채운다. 그는 이전부터 지금까지 하나의 작품 안에 이야기를 집어넣었는데, 이는 작가 개인의 내러티브보다 전통적인 동양화를 레퍼런스로 재현한 경우가 주를 이룬다. 이런 패턴은 작가가 자신의 정체성을 표징하는 수단이 된다.

그가 공개하는 작업론은 상당히 논리적이며 실증적인 면을 갖추고 있는데, 이는 관객들에게 분명한 의도를 전달하는 장점이 있다. 하지만 동시에 그 언술은 미술비평가들로 하여금 다른 이야기를 풍성하게 끌어낼 여지를 주지 않는다. 이러한 딜레마는 앙상한 정보량으로 현학적인 주제를 끝없이 생산하는 한국 단색추상화의 현 상황과 묘한 대비를 이룬다. 권기수가 자신의 작품 속에 내비치는 피해의식 혹은 불안감은, 내가 볼 때 예술 작품을 평가하는 일반화된 척도에서 비롯되었다. 좋은 작품은 이러해야 되고, 나쁜 작품은 저렇기 때문에 어쩔 수 없다는 기준 말이다. 예컨대 진선미는 권장되고, 위악추는 배척당하는 구분은 오늘날의 예술에서조차 늘 작동된다. 또한 순수예술과 대중예술, 원본과 복사본, 한국적인 것과 외래적인 것의 이분법에서 사람들은 무의식에 가깝게 전자 쪽을 높이 평가한다. 이와 같은 코드 아래에서 권기수는 주류보다 비주류에 가까운 냉랭한 공기를 몸으로 느꼈을지도 모른다. 가령 다음과 같이 반박할 수 없는 사실들: 미술에 체계적인 지식을 쌓지 못한 대중들도 그의 그림을 좋아하며, 단 하나의 그림이나 조각이 아니라 수많은 매체 변형과 2차 콘텐츠를 거느리는 점, 그리고 무엇보다 그의 출신 전공과 작업의 불일치는 역설적으로 그의 작업을 독특한 단계로 진화시키는 환경이 되었다. 동구리처럼 ‘구르는 돌에는 이끼가 끼지 않는다.

물론 작가는 말이나 글 대신 작품으로 답하면 된다. 실재로 권기수의 창작 과정에 있어서 단초가 되는 ‘한국 미술에서 형식과 내용의 주도권’에 관해서 그는 하고 싶은 말이 많을 거다. 그가 조망하는 창작 환경을 풀어서 설명하자면, 나는 ‘소재주의의 오류’로 정리하고 싶다. 길에서 지나가는 아무나 붙잡고 이야기 해보라. 한국적인 것과 외래적인 문화 가운데 무엇을 더 높이 평가하느냐는 질문에 대답은 정해져 있다. 우리를 둘러싼 일상 속에 먹을거리 몇 가지를 제외하고 전래되어 온 문화가 사라진 지금에도, 사람들은 한국적인 것을 우위에 두려 한다. 예술의 창작이나 평가에 이런 당위론이 어설프게 끼어드는 예는 무수히 많다. 임권택의 영화 이야기를 끌고 오자면, 이 감독이 비평가들로부터 높은 평가를 받는 이유가 한국적인 것을 화면에 잘 담아내는 작가라서 그렇다고 한다. 여기에 오해가 따른다. 임권택이 전통문화나 시대극을 잘 찍어서 한국적인 감독이란 생각은 착각이다.

오래 전 그를 헌사하는 한 영화제에서 제목도 정확히 안 떠오르는 작품의 한 장면을 보고 감탄한 적이 있다. 1980년대에 만들어진 그 영화는 가족이 갈등과 화해를 거치는 드라마 장르였다. 어느 대가족의 늙은 가장이 출가한 아들딸들을 불러 모았다. 실은 외도로 배다른 형제를 두었다는 사실을 가족들에게 처음으로 밝히는 자리였다. 내가 눈여겨 본 점은 이 장면에 쓰인 카메라 워크였다. 여느 촬영감독들 같으면 이런 씬은 방 전체를 잡는 풀샷이나 상반신 이상의 플레임을 쓸 것이다. 말하는 인물을 차례대로 클로즈업 하는 것도 무난한 방법이다. 하지만 임권택은 촬영감독에게 다른 주문을 했다. 화면은 엉뚱한 실수처럼 방바닥을 비추고 있었다. 이게 뭔가 하면, 등장인물의 시선이다. 가부장제도 아래에서 아무리 완고한 가장이라도 자식들의 눈을 마주하며 자기 과오를 말할 수는 없는 노릇이다. 이게 한국인의 정서다. 이와 같은 통찰이 부족한 예술가들이 흔히 범하는 실수가 소재주의의 오류다. 서양 건축을 한국식으로 바꾼다며 기와를 올리고 오방색을 칠한다고 전통 가옥이 될 수 없다. 과거를 다룬 사극이 모두 한국적인 명작이 될 수 없는 까닭이 여기에 있다. 같은 이치에서, 나는 먹과 장지를 써서 한국적인 전통을 계승한다는 작업이 자칫 허세 가득한 겉치레에 머무는 경우를 숱하게 보아왔다.

권기수의 미적 감각 또한 다분히 동아시아적인 회화에 뿌리를 둔다. 캔버스 위에 매끈하게 색을 거듭 칠하는 과정은 전통 수묵화 그리기에 대입될 때 상동성을 가지는 부분이 있다. 세계를 이차원으로 새롭게 관찰하는 회화에서, 서양화와 달리 동양화는 예컨대 원근법과 같은 분석적인 공간 해석 대신 존재 그 자체에 중심을 두어 왔다. 그의 그림에는 이 점에 충실하다. 작가가 무심히 낙서하던 흔적 속에서 태어난 동구리는 한편으로 보자면 동양화의 지나치게 무거운 관념으로부터의 탈피였다. 마찬가지로, 작가가 말 그대로 전통을 극복하는 길이 팝아트가 닦아온 길과 닮았다는 의견을 아량으로 대한다면 이번 작품의 감상은 훨씬 홀가분해진다. 그렇게 된다면 관객들은 본 전시에서 시도되는 사소한 변화를 그의 작업 태도가 동양적인 형식을 우아하게 포기하려는 기획에 얼마나 잘 맞닿아있는지 알게 될 것이다.

이번 전시에서 작가가 드러낸 통찰은 회사후소(繪事後素). 작품의 제목이기도 한 후소는 회사후소의 줄임말이다. 논어에 나오는 이 격언은 지우는 행위가 곧 그리는 행위와 통한다는 뜻으로 전해진다. 수묵화와 달리, 공자 시대의 중국회화가 바탕 채색을 기본으로 한 양식이 성행한 것은 권기수의 작업과 통하는 부분이 많다. 전시는 이 직관적인 개념을 형태로 만들어낸다. 그러나 단지 그것만으로 전통을 꿰뚫고 있는 양식미와 그의 작업 방식 간의 상관관계를 온전히 증명할 수는 없다. 그에게 동양의 전통, 혹은 한국적인 가치는 적어도 자신의 그림에 스스로를 엄격하게 가두는 상징 기호(예컨대 동구리)까지 고양시켜 놓았다. 그래서 신작은 그로 하여금 또 다시 이런 자기 강박을 중화시키는 논리적 모순장치를 등장시켰다. 화면을 맘껏 가로지르는 선이 그것이다. 일종의 자기정화로 기능하는 선들은 지금까지 작가가 쌓아온 세계를 스스로 되물림(feedback)한다. 그래서 이 작품들은 덧없고, 매혹적이다. 다중 인격까지 언급하는 건 책임 없는 해석이고, 상징적인 관점에서 그 선들은 이 화가에 의해서 그려졌다기보다 지워졌다는 편이 맞을 것이다. 많은 사람들은 화가는 그림을 그리는 사람인 동시에 그림을 지우는 사람이란 사실을 모른다. 권기수의 회화는 여기, 지워져 가는 작품까지도 그가 한 단계씩 펼쳐가는 장대한 기획의 일부로써 광채를 발하고 있다.

(윤규홍, 갤러리 분도 아트디렉터/예술사회학)

List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜sort 조회 수

동동, 완월장취 玩月長醉 | 자하미술관 | 박유한

‘Dongguri’ Returns to Korean Painting | HA KYE HOON 2019

The Universe in the Golden Eye | Atelier Aki

어디에나 있고 어디에나 없는 | 서마립 (예술비평)

Kwon Ki Soo: Reflections on the Plantain | Yoo Jin-sang

Kwon Kisoo: In regards to a number of faces, Yoo Jin-sang

[Solo Show] Hoosou 후소 後素-Things resulted from the attitude to never give up by Kewhong Yoon

Reflection: 明鏡止水 명경지수, Kwon Kisoo, Gallery Hyunday , by Jienne Liu

2010 Solo Show(ilwoo space) text by Y. Shim Chung file

2010 Solo Show, by Victoria Lu , Celia Huang

2008 by Kim Sun-hee

2008 Solo show, Parkryusook gallery

2006 Solo Show , Artpark gallery